My mother taught me some amazing lessons. And in honor of her and all mothers this Mothers’ Day Monday, allow me to share some of her wisdom.
1. Pick your battles. Everything is not worth fighting over.
2. Ignore mean people, you’re only giving them what they want if you pay them any attention.
3. If you can’t say something nice, say nothing at all.
4. Walk it off.
5. No. Your little brother is not breathing YOUR air.
6. You wouldn’t treat a stranger on the street like that; so don’t treat your family members that way.
7. It doesn’t matter what you end up doing for a living, but you should try to be the best at it you can.
8. You’re gonna eat a pound of dirt before you die. So just wash the sand off your fudgesicle in the ocean.
9. You are loved without reservation, or condition.
10. The difficult side of raising independent-thinking children is that you then have to live with them.
Everyday I am amazed at how right she has been, and continues to be.